Friday, November 16, 2012

Living Room Reveal!

Can I get a drumroll?!?! Christmas Vacation-style, please?!?!


Apologies, that move is one of my weaknesses! 

 After much ado, it's finally time to reveal our newly-decorated, comfy cozy, long-awaited and desperately needed living room makeover. Do you remember the room in its original state? Vanilla, as grandma called it. Here are a few glimpses from old posts....


I hate, hate, HATE this next photo but it really does help show how far we've come. You can see the vanilla ... it was everywhere ... carpet, walls, trim and furniture. And though you can't see it in the photo, our TV and stand were in the right-hand corner of the room, opposite the Christmas tree. 


So with that in mind, I've showed you the long, hard days and nights of floor sanding and polyurethane, and I'm pleased to tell you all the hard work has paid off. We no longer have disproportional vanilla, people! 
Take a look....







Does the blue make you as happy as it makes me? I love the sense of calm it brings to the room, and the way it makes the floors and trim pop. It's also a great backdrop for my new artwork in the room. 




I'm a strong believer in personalizing the artwork in a person's home, so all of these photos are ones I've taken on our travels. I printed them as photo posters at Walgreens (during a 50% off sale) and glued them to blank canvases with Modpodge. What's more, I spent around $70 for five large pieces of artwork. It's so nice to look at the walls and see memories. :) By the way, I give absolutely all the credit for this idea to Pinterest - Ms. Ginger over at Literally Inspired is a smarty pants! I followed her exact instructions and couldn't be happier with the end result. 


And doesn't the TV mounted on the fireplace make the room look so much bigger? I must say that I'm not a huge fan of the concept - I normally can barely sit still long enough for a 30 minute rerun of Friends, but the space feels so much more open and inviting ......

What else did we add to the room, you ask? The bookshelves on either side of the fireplace are from Target. You can find them here


We also bought the area rug there (here), but these, my friends, were the most expensive items we bought. Everything else we already had or repurposed in some way. 


I couldn't be more proud if the room had spoken its first words. Wait a minute, I think it did. It said, "welcome home." :) 


Thanks for stopping by! Please let us know what you think ... we'd love to hear from you!  


I'm linking up to: 


The Shabby Nest

Create & Inspire Linky Party




UndertheTableandDreaming

7 comments:

  1. Great makeover! I love how the black and white photos look against that divine blue:) I ended my living room makeover post with my doggie too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen! I truly love the photos with the blue, too - it really makes them pop!

      Delete
  2. It looks much better now. I love the new color... fresh and inviting! www.fabtwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fabrizia! I'm glad you think so too! The blue is so much more relaxing!

      Delete
  3. i love the blue-it looks blue/gray ish. and i know people don't love the fireplace and tv thing, but it makes the most sense in so many places. we just did that in our basement reno, and i couldn't be happier. enjoy your new space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are really loving the color - it feels so much more like home. And I completely agree with the TV/fireplace dilemma - it has saved us SO much space! I'm bound and determined to continue to find ways to continue decorate the mantle despite the TV! :)

      Delete
  4. Great makeover! I love how the black and white photos look against that divine blue:) I ended my living room makeover post with my doggie too! Hammary Furniture

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments!