... we've been busy bees, and spending every minute out in the yard soaking up all the sunshine we can get.
Most exciting, for me at least, is that our raised bed gardens are now fully constructed and planted! Though they're nowhere near the size of the acres of soil I grew up planting and harvesting, they will certainly do for this girl!
Take a look at our take on the raised-bed, square-foot gardening craze.
We're pretty proud! Hubs has a tendency to make things looks easy, so take it with a grain of salt when I say that this project wasn't too painful. Nevertheless, here's how we did it.
Each bed is composed of 12 four foot pieces of pretreated lumber, 9-ish bags of topsoil (depends how full you want them), compost, and 12 eyelet screws. You'll also some twine, or whatever you want to use for the grids.
Let's start by saying that when Hubs when off to the store to buy supplies for these beds, I had absolutely no question in my mind that he'd come home with 2 x 6s, stakes and deck screws. The plan was to recreate something like I had seen in this awesome tutorial from The Pioneer Woman.
So you can imagine my surprise when he pulled up hauling 12 pretreated, four foot landscaping timbers .... ummm .... what???
So we went with it! We stacked the lumber two high, screwed the pieces together with deck screws, and then laid the final layer and screwed that one to the middle piece.
We also designed the beds so that the layers were somewhat interlocking, like so ...
Once we had each layer together, we moved them to the spot where they were going to permanently sit, and tried to make sure they sat level on the ground. This took a little trial and error but it wasn't too bad.
Dutchy was a big help as always :)
Once the beds were full, we measured off each square (remember, 11-ish inches) and placed eyelet screws at each mark to create the sideline grids for the squares. (excuse the poor phone photos)
Then ran twine from one side of the bed to the other at each screw to create the gridlines for our squares, tying off the twine at the eyelets.
Tada!! Ready for planting. Stay tuned for tomorrow's post to see how we layout our plants and for some insight on "companion planting."
Thanks for stopping by!
I'm linking this project up to these great parties: