Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Cutout Cookie Frosting Tutorial

Before nearly every big holiday, since I can remember, my family has always decorated cutout cookies. This Easter was no exception. Using the top-secret family cutout recipe, mom whipped up a few batches of dough, rolled out a few eggs and bunnies, and we all gathered round to channel our creativity - even Grandma who's 96! 


This year, it occurred to me that this ritual would be a great topic for a blog post. Not just because of the family tradition - that's important, too. Mostly because back in college I was a semi-professional cookie froster. That's right. Laugh it up! But it's true - I frosted dozens and dozens of cutout cookies for a local cookie shop in my home town. It was a great temporary position since they always needed people when I needed work - on Christmas and summer breaks. So every year I had a temporary spot waiting for me. 


And while I'd now consider myself retired, I've never been able to go back to the sloppy, unprofessional cookie frosting I so enjoyed before holding this unique occupation. So here are a few of my works of art this weekend ... 



And here's a cookie frosting tutorial! 

We'll start slow with the easy shape - an egg. 


First, put a dollop of frosting onto your knife ...


Then spread it to evenly cover the surface of the cookie ... 


Next, make your swirl. You want to start at the top of the cookie and work your way to the bottom. Move your knife back and forth from one side to the other, and make sure to press hard enough so that a swirl pattern forms in the frosting. 


Here's the most important part. Scrape your knife on the edge of your bowl to remove any excess frosting. You want to do this continuously throughout the next few steps. 

With your "clean" knife, find an edge of the cookie and begin scraping off any excess frosting from the edges. Your motion should be sideways and slightly downward. 


With each scrape, make sure to clean your knife. And here is what your end result will look like! 



Do you feel up to it? Let's try a harder cookie. How bout a bunny. Same steps, just more edges and more knife scraping. And to this one, I added a second color.


 Take your bunny ... 


Spread your frosting evenly across the top of the cookie. 


Once you have your base color situated, add your second color to the middle of the cookie. I used yellow. 


Swirl. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Voila! 



I hope you found this helpful, and that you will all be frosting fools for your next cutout occasion! 


Linking up to: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!