Monday, April 23, 2012

A $3 Stand Makeover

My thriftiness runs deep in the blood. Long before I enjoyed perusing Goodwills and thrift stores, I was being dragged there by my father, who still loves the thrill of a good find in those shops. While I appreciate this now, back then, it was not nearly as exciting.

So a few months ago when Dad was nice enough let me have one of his great finds, I couldn't have been more excited. He had snatched a small, solid walnut stand for just $3 but hadn't had time to spend give the attention it needed. And lucky for me, this little gem couldn't have been more perfect for spot beneath the window in my kitchen.

 Take a look at all of this potential ... 


The shelves had already been sanded down, but the legs and the trim still needed to be tended to. 


And while the easy thing would have been to paint it, it just wouldn't have been right. I can vividly remember watching Trading Spaces in high school and watching Dad cringe at the designers painting antique furniture turquoise, or wood trim white. So we got out the orbital sander and got to work. 




And once we finally had it all sanded down, we used Minwax Gel Stain in Walnut. 

Minwax 26060 1/2PT Walnut Gel Stan
Image courtesy of Google

I'm not going to lie - I haven't stained much of anything in my life. Using the gel stain was surprisingly easy, and I was thrilled with how well it turned out. What do you think?!
  

I'm extremely happy with it. And I'm so glad we did this project the hard way - sanding and staining and finishing rather than just painting. The dark wood is exactly what we needed to break up all of the white cabinets and beadboard in this kitchen, as beautiful as it. For a look at our kitchen makeover, click here


Look at the grain on that wood. :o) 


So happy with it, and I hope Pops will be too! 


Have a good day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!