Sunday, March 4, 2012

St. Patty's Day Mantle Reveal

In this house, we love St. Patrick's Day. Not just because of the green beer and leprechauns, although those are fun! Mostly, because Greg has a love for all things Irish. What's not to love? The culture and history of the country are unique. And while the St. Patrick's Day holiday isn't truly significant in America, it sure is resilient - it's been celebrated by the Irish for more than 100 years.

As I mentioned, Greg loves the Irish culture, heck, he even loves Guinness. But he had the pleasure of visiting the Emerald Isle a few years ago, and was able to witness the green of the Irish countryside, to visit the historic castles and sites, to drive the rocky, coastal highways, and to eat the local fare. 

So this year, rather than displaying red-bearded leprechauns and pots of gold on the mantle, I made an attempt to put together a few things that actually seemed Irish, rather than hokey pokey third grade decor. The general consensus was that we would need lots of rocks, pebbles, moss, crosses, and just like with all things, a little whiskey. :) 

Here is what we came up with: 



First and foremost, we hung a moss wreath on our window. I wish I could say I made it. We found it at Meijer for $7 bucks, and when Greg saw it he said, "Now that's an Ireland wreath." I knew it had to come home with us. 


On each side of the mantle we filled apothecary jars with rock, just like the stone of the Irish coast, and we displayed crosses. Greg said these reminded him of his trip for a few reasons - one being the way religion is so ingrained in the Irish society, and the second due to the various churches and cemeteries he saw while traveling. 


I added a few books with green or neutral binding just to tie everything together, and moss rocks (The Dollar Tree) to carry on that theme. 


On the left side, in addition to the rocks and the cross (this one with shamrocks) we included an empty jug of Tullamore Dew and a few chocolate, gold coins just for kicks. Every day the number of coins gets smaller - my leprechaun keeps stealing them. :)


Finally, I made this burlap "lucky" banner out of twine and pieces of burlap ... I'm really happy with the way it turned out! 


What do you think? Does it looks Irish, but not grade school? I hope so! I know we've really been enjoying the change of scenery around here. 


And speaking of burlap ... that leads me to the subject of the rest of my posts this week. There's been a bit of a burlap overload at our house this weekend, so I thought, what better to feature on this blog than five days of projects made from the stuff? That's right - it's not just for grain sacks and coffee beans anymore. Tomorrow I'll show you how I made the burlap banner, and each day this week I'll feature another burlap project for your reading pleasure. Get excited! 

Hope to see you all back here tomorrow for Burlap-alooza!

I'm linking up to:


A Little Inspiration


Sunday's Best Linky Party!




UndertheTableandDreaming


2 comments:

  1. We love St. Patrick's Day too. Come for a visit and we'll share a cup of Irish tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that banner!!! :) Thanks for linking up at Create & Inspire!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments!