Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Burlapalooza Day 3: Bedroom Curtains

Happy Hump Day! And welcome to Day 3 of ...


Today's post is Pinterest inspired, like most things in my life recently! After spotting these photos, I knew I wanted to make some for our bedroom.

burlap curtains

Photo courtesy of Pinterest


Photo courtesy of Knock Off Decor

Aren't they purty? After reading a tutorial at Life to the "T" I was inspired to try it myself. So hold on to your seats - this is one of the easiest projects I've done. It was so easy, and involved absolutely no sewing! Have I gotten your attention yet?

First things first, spread out your fabric and cut your panels. Mine needed to be 84 x 40 when all was said and done, so I purchased by burlap by the yard and cut my length to 90" to allow me extra space for the hems. 



Next comes the Stitch Witchery. You need only this stuff and your iron to make this a sewing-free project! Stitch Witchery is a fusible bonding tape that you can use for seams and hems. I used the "super hold" type because I was planning to thread my curtain rod through the top hem rather than using curtain rings or clips.  That, and the burlap is a bit heavier than other fabrics. Below is my hem at the bottom of the panel - it was only about an inch. I simply placed the tape on the curtain, folded over the burlap to form the hem, and placed damp fabric on top of the burlap while ironing. 


For the hems at the tops of the panels, I left myself an opening of about 3 1/2 inches so I could fit my curtain rod in it to hang the curtains. 


And that's all she wrote! It's really just as simple as measuring and ironing. Here's how mine turned out ... 


My left side looks a little wonky in this photo, but I'm pretty happy with them overall. Right now we have them pulled back with a bit of twine, but I'd love to find some beautiful tassels like the "Pinspiration" photo above. 

I do have a few suggestions based on my experience: 

  1. Make sure you turn your iron on the "steam" setting! I went through a ton of water in my iron while making these just because it seemed like the only way to get the stitch witchery to bond was to use the steam setting.
  2. Iron your hems before actually using the bonding. I realize this is common sense to most, but I think I was a bit caught up in the simplicity of this project that I tossed all the rules out the door! This would definitely have saved me some time.
  3. After you hem your first edge, double check your new edge to make sure you are hemming that side in the same direction - does this make sense? You want to have both of your hems facing the back of the curtain! 
  4. Febreeze or lightly spray your curtains before hanging them. Burlap's strong, distinct smell isn't exactly what I wanted in the bedroom - though I do love how they look!

That's it, folks! Thanks for reading - I'd love to hear your thoughts or suggestions! And please stop back tomorrow for Day 4 of ... 


Click here to view my other Burlapalooza projects! 


1 comment:

  1. Can you tell me where you got the skeleton key that's on the wall? I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments!