Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Burlapalooza Day 2: Covered Lamp Shades

Welcome back! Are you ready for Day 2 of Burlapalooza?


Today's tutorial is the result of pining over some of these for months...

Home® Mix-and-Match Lamp Shade - Brown (Medium).Opens in a new window
Photo courtesy of Target.com

Alternate View

Photo courtesy of www.potterybarn.com


Photo courtesy of etsy.com

Ruffled Lampshade Natural Burlap Square

Photo courtesy of etsy.com

You guessed it - I covered my lampshades in burlap! In our bedroom we had two plain white lampshades that came with our lamps. I loved the bases, but just didn't like the white on white combination we had going on. It was too bland for me. 


So, I took about a yard of burlap, laid it out on the floor, and began tracing the pattern the shade made when I rolled it from one end to the other across the fabric. 


Then I cut out that shape, making sure to leave extra room for gluing the edges, and used it as a pattern for my second shade.


Once my pieces were cut, I was ready to begin. The first step was to glue one end of the burlap to the lamp shade. I glued at the seem of the shade since it was already a noticeable spot when the lamp was on.


I glued along the edges of the shade, every few inches or so, making sure to pull the burlap tight to the lamp shade and keep the fabric straight! 


After I had the fabric glued to the lamp shade, I went around both sides and folded and glued down the extra material inside the shade. I glued just inside the edge so that I could still trim any excess material that could be seen through the shade when lit up.


Here is what it looked like after gluing the edges, and before trimming any excess material. 


And here is the finished product! 


What do you think? Easy, right?! I love the these shades tone the white light down a bit - and the fact that this project cost no more than a few dollars! Seriously - so easy. 


Thanks for reading! I hope to see you all again tomorrow for Day 3 of ... 


Click here to view my other Burlapalooza projects! 


I'm linking up to these great parties: 


7 comments:

  1. Those look so nice! I have a couple of lampshades that I am tired of, just need a change. Burlap will be perfect for them. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! Please let me know if you end up trying this - I'd love to see how yours turn out. Stop by again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty! I found a lampshade at homegoods last night for $6.50. The hubby tried to convince me to put the damaged goods back but men, they don't have the same vision as this:) Thanks for giving me some ideas for my lampshade! I would love if you could share this at my cheap finds and transformation party, if you're interested here's the link and I'm your newest stalker:) Talk to you soon:)

    http://www.thescottscrib.com/2012/03/lathriftas-cheap-finds-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for the invite. I just posted up! :)

      Delete
  5. Burlap is my fav! Following you from TDC-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments!