Monday, March 5, 2012

Burlapalooza Day 1: St Patrick's Day "Lucky" Banner


Welcome to Day 1 of Burlapalooza - five whole days of burlap inspired projects! I can already tell, you're just as excited as I am. So as promised, the first burlap project this week is the "lucky" St. Patrick's Day banner I premiered yesterday in my St. Patrick's Day mantle post.


This banner was surprisingly easy to make- I know you all can do it, too. Here is what you will need: scissors, burlap, twine, sharpies, a measuring tape and a hot glue gun (that got left out of the photo!).


Then I used a straight line to trace/form one of the triangles. I started with the portion of burlap at the fold for this, since it made an instant triangle with one cut. 


Then I used that piece as my pattern to trace the rest of the triangles. 


Next, I printed out my letter patterns. I just used Times New Roman font, and printed out the word "lucky" and two shamrocks on white printer paper. Then, I put the burlap pieces on top of each letter so that I could trace the shape of the letter onto the burlap.


I used plain ole' sharpies for tracing - a green one and a black one.  


Here are all of the letters laid out, ready to glue to the twine. 


Next I cut a length of twine that fit the size of the fireplace, and gave me just the right amount of "droopiness" for it to hang. I even ironed the twine a bit to straightenit out from being rolled up. Then, I hot-glued each triangle to the twine from the back of the burlap. I measured an inch between each triangle. The gluing part took two steps - one to attach the triangle to the twine initially, and another to glue the excess material at the top of the triangle to the triangle of the material so the top didn't look awkward. This was actually the most time consuming part, and my hands were covered in hot glue since it leaked through the holes in the burlap. Just warning you!


And that's it! I'd say it turned out well! What do you think? 

  

I'm pretty happy with it. We needed a little luck around here! And, making this banner gave me a lot of great ideas for others I could make in the future - whether it be for other holidays, birthdays or showers. So many possibilities!



I hope you enjoyed Day 1! Hope to see you back here again tomorrow for Day 2 of ...



Thanks for reading!! Please let me know what you think ... I'd love to hear your comments! :)

Click here to view my other Burlapalooza projects! 



I'm linking up to Finding Fabulous, Keeping it Simple, DIY Home Sweet Home, Cherished Bliss, Craft-O-Maniac, Get Outta My Head Please, Not Just a Housewife, and A Bowl Full of Lemons.

8 comments:

  1. How cute is that banner. I love it. I'm visiting from Get Out of My Head. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower with LF hope you can stop by and follow my kitchen remodel. pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Peggy! Both for your comment and for following. I'm headed your way now to view your remodel!

      Delete
  2. Adorable! I love me some burlap. Thanks for stopping by for a visit to my blog. I'll be happy to be one of your followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, thanks for stopping by highpointcircle and loving my bunnies. They are new this year and from a shop in Wichita, Kansas called Acornacopia--they were only $8/each and there are four different poses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply! What a great deal - I'm now on the looking for something similar here!

      Delete
  4. This is so cute (and so is your blog!) Thanks for sharing this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Catherine! Hope you stop by again sometime!

      Delete

I would love to hear your comments!