Saturday, January 21, 2012

Someone's in the Kitchen with Dyna ...

.... a dynamite explosion of Cookie Monster blue madness! When we first moved into our home, the previous owners left us beautiful, white, Ikea cabinets.I really do love them - I'll give them that. But the wall color - come on people! This is what I saw every time I walked in!


The busy blue was so unsettling, that in an effort to preserve our sanity, we placed painting the room on the top of our home improvement list. Here are a few pictures of the madness in its original state.





Oh the deep burning hatred! So, first things first, we picked out a beautiful sage green for the wall color. Our choice was Pacific Pine from Pittsburgh Paints' Grand Distinction line. Looking back, perhaps our wedding was a bit of an inspiration?  The color is awfully close to those the Euro Celadon our lovely bridesmaids wore. That must explain why I love it so much!


So away we went ... but then ... as almost always happens in the midst of home improvement mindset, we decided on another project! An upgrade to the task at hand, if you will. Allow me to explain. The kitchen originally had a short, four-inch backsplash that matched the countertops - oh so boring! You can see it pretty well in the photo below.


So, we made the obvious choice. Leave them to avoid any additional work, you say? Of course not - we pried off those bad boys and never looked back!


And so, our backsplash "upgrade" was born. In this time of need, I of course turned to a few of my favorite blogs for inspiration. And after seeing this .... 


and this .... 


and this ....


... we knew beadboard was the answer! We were a bit worried that the combination of the cabinets, which already had a beadboard-esque (I like to make up words) panel on the front, and a backsplash would result in a frenzy of stripes, but we went for it full tow. And when I say we, I mean 80% my wonderful, loving husband who doesn't entirely trust me with power tools, and 20% me. We're working on this. 

As a starting point, we measured the walls to determine the amount of beadboard we needed, and bought a $20 sheet of the pre-primed stuff at Lowes. We then had that sheet pre-cut it into five pieces - partially to save us the time, and partially so that we could fit it into our vehicle! A small car isn't the best means for our lofty home improvement goals - we're working on this too! 

Anyway, this is the stuff. 

FashionWall 3/16"D x 4'W x 8'H White Hardboard Wall Panel

And since I did the most terrible job of documenting this project, (I blame the temperament that my  previously-mentioned, wonderful, loving hubby maintained throughout this entire project) I'll roll the credits instead. 


Tada!! As a way to make the panels looks a bit more finished, we also bought a few pieces of trim for the top and bottom.


Added a few new blinds ... the old ones were white and see through with icky stains! 


And the majority of this project was complete. We'd still like to upgrade the cabinet pulls to something rubbed bronze or black, and get rid of the TERRIBLE blue light fixture that currently graces the middle of our ceiling. (You can see a trace of this in the reflection in the cabinet.)


But all in all - I LOVE IT! The pictures just don't do it justice. And though we're really the furthest thing from experts, allow us to share what we learned from this project, mostly by trial and error! 
  1. I can't even tell you how handy our dremel was for this project. We used it so many times to sand down the openings we cut for the outlets, to cut those initial holes rather than use a sawzall, and to cut around openings for the window trip, which was extremely tricky. It was a lifesaver! 
  2. Double and triple check your measurements! 
  3. Make sure to paint the seams of the beadboard and on the wall behind the seams,the final color that the beadboard will have. A worker at Lowes shared this tip and it was a great one. It would have been extremely hard to get paint into those crevices once the board was nailed/glued to the wall ... which brings me to the last tip ... 
  4. Nail the top and bottom edges of the beadboard pieces to keep it from sliding while the glue is drying. We initially thought we could get away with just gluing the beadboard, but this certainly was not the case, so we nailed only the areas of the board that we could hide with the trim! 
Next up, the Cookie Monster detoxification continues. Here is your clue! 

 

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!